Ius est ars boni et aequi.

Prawo jest sztuką tego, co dobre i słuszne.

LAW IS THE ART OF THE GOOD AND THE EQUITABLE.



Saturday 24 June 2017

legal word of the day: TO HANG OUT YOUR SHINGLE




legal word of the day: TO HANG OUT YOUR SHINGLE

ENG: to start a private practice

POL: rozpocząć prywatną praktykę (dosł. wywiesić tabliczkę)

(1) Although the economy appeared to be spiraling down, I decided to hang out my shingle and perform work as a solo practitioner.

(2) In 1984, Peggy Gilbert hung out her shingle, and commenced the private practice of law in a small office on Harlow Street in Bangor. 

(3) After I hung out my shingle and got a few cases, and started butting heads with the big firm guys, I really came to dislike them.

(4) I was offered a chance to go with the only group worthy to call itself a law firm, Smith and Leary, but with characteristic ego, I decided to hang out my shingle and practice on my own.

a SOLO PRACTITIONER/ (or more commonly) SOLE PRACTITIONER – prawnik prowadzący jednoosobową kancelarię (a lawyer who provides paid-for legal services to the public alone and unattached to a law firm or organization)

to COMMENCE – rozpoczynać (to start)

a LAW FIRM – kancelaria (a business made up of lawyers that work together under a specific firm name


No comments:

Post a Comment